Headaches and migraines | Dee Why Chiropractic Care
When you experience a headache or migraine all you want is to get out of pain as soon as possible. Headaches have been referred to as the “the most common complaint in humanity” as it affects two thirds of the population.
Whether you experience these symptoms on a regular basis or every now and then the good news is chiropractic care can help. Migraines are sometimes mistaken as severe headaches however they differ in origin.
Migraines can be debilitating and in most cases, severely effecting the individual to the point they have to be confined to a dark, quiet room to gain relief. Headaches on the other hand are largely attributed to lifestyle factors, referral from cervical (neck) structures and poor posture; this is where chiropractic can help.
Common symptoms of headaches:
- Pain around the temporal region of the forehead
- Pain may be experienced across both sides of the forehead or localised to one side
- Pain at the base of the skull or behind the eyes
- Pain aggravated by prolonged sitting or stress
- Headache accompanied by neck and/or shoulder pain
- Pain is more commonly described as having an achy nature, however could be throbbing, sharp/pinpoint or pounding
- Episodes can last minutes to days.
Common causes of headaches:
- Poor Posture
- Referral from joint in the cervical spine (neck) and surrounding musculature
- History of neck trauma such as whiplash
- Prolonged slouching
- Excessive bending or twisting of the neck
- Working at a computer
Common Symptoms of Migraines:
- Eye Pain
- Sensitivity to Light or Sound
- Severe pain which is usually localised to one side of the head, with the headache being described as "pounding"
Common causes of migraines:
- Hormonal Changes in women
- Triggers such as certain foods, alcohol and caffeine
- Sensory Stimuli and loud sounds
- Changes in Wake/Sleep Patterns
- Physical Exertion
- Changes in Environment
When you present to our office complaining of either a headache or migraine, due to their complex nature, we complete a full medical history and examination to hone in on the exact cause of your symptoms. If we conclude that the source of you pain is from the neck/shoulder region or related to poor posture this is where chiropractic can help!
If this sounds like something that relates to your current condition don’t hesitate to call us.
Book an Appointment
Are you ready to change your life for the better, book an appointment online.