Sciatica treatments at Dee Why Chiropractic Care can help stop the pain.
What is Sciatica
Sciatica is leg pain (that can be present with or without back pain) as a result of irritation to the sciatic nerve or any of the nerve roots (5 nerves) that combine to form it.
Common signs of sciatica
- Low back or hip pain
- Burning, tingling or shooting pain that goes down the back of your leg and/or foot
- Weakness or poor control of muscles in your leg
- Numbness or loss of sensation of a part of your leg
- Pain in your leg that increases with prolonged sitting
- Shooting pain aggravated by certain movements of your back
- Symptoms most commonly only in one leg but can appear in both
- Tightness of your hamstring and pain triggered by stretching the hamstring
Risk factors for sciatica
- Lifting a heavy object
- Poor lifting habits at the gym
- Prolonged sitting
- Having bad posture
- Repetitive bending and lifting
- Inactive lifestyle
- Poor core strength
- Previous back injuries
Common causes of sciatica
- Bulging or herniated discs pressing on the sciatic nerve or its nerve roots
- Thinning of the canals where nerves exit the spine (foraminal stenosis)
- Thinning of the canal that holds the spinal cord (spinal stenosis)
- Slipping of a vertebrae on top of another, that puts pressure on the spinal cord (spondylolisthesis)
- Tight muscles compressing on the sciatic nerve
- Growths such as tumours pressing on nerves or spinal cord
Sciatica symptoms that are a medical emergency
If you are experiencing any of the following you should seek immediate medical care to prevent any serious health complications
- Pain that goes down both legs
- Loss of sensation around inner thigh and buttocks
- Inability to control your bowel or bladder
These symptoms are a sign of cauda equina syndrome and usually require surgical intervention as soon as possible.
Sciatica treatments at Dee Why Chiropractic Care
Sciatica can be very painful and you should consult a health professional for an examination before it turns into a chronic problem.
After a comprehensive history and examination our chiropractors will identify where the sciatic nerve is being irritated. A treatment plan will be tailored to you for the most effective and quickest sciatica pain relief.
If you feel we can help you with your sciatic nerve pain call us on (02) 99719428 or book a consultation online.